Home > About Us > History
Bob and Leola Norris opened Bay City Electric Works, Inc. in 1932. The business was located on University Avenue near 38th Street, in San Diego, and was centered on small appliance repair.
On July 2, 1984, the assets of Bay City Electric Works, Inc. were purchased by CDS Electric, Inc., a newly formed California Corporation owned by Wilmer Spitzer, Wally Dier and Tom Claycomb. On January 1, 1986, all outstanding stocks were acquired by Tom Claycomb. In 1988, the corporation name was changed to Bay City Electric Works, Inc.
The business grew and was moved, over the years to several locations before moving to 3375 Hancock Street, (1961 - 2001). Growth continued, and we found we could no longer fit 48 employees and our extensive collection of vehicles and equipment in the Hancock buildings (office and warehouse). On November 5, 2001 we moved into a new and much larger facility at 12208 Industry Road in Lakeside, CA. In the beginning of 2012, we moved once again into our new corporate headquarters at 13625 Danielson Street in Poway, CA where we now have a total of 70 employees.
During the years BCEW has become one of the premier distributors for Kohler Generators in San Diego and Imperial Counties. In the year 1997 we were given the honor of being the Distributor of the Year for Kohler Company. Kohler Generators in San Diego has become the foundation for sales growth.
In 2007, Mark Loftin, President and CEO of Loftin Equipment Co., announced the acquisition of Bay City Electric Works.
Throughout the last decade, the business has continued to grow. Major markets now center around the sales, service, and rental of standby generator systems, portable generators, RV generators, industrial engines, electric motors and associated equipment. Customers include individuals, building contractors, industrial plants, city and county governments, utility companies, and the military.